Sunday, July 08, 2007

Leaving on a Jet Plane


This is us saying goodbye to our Gran (Ethel, went by the name Jenny) after her trip to visit us in South Africa. Our Grandad (Fred, went by the name Fred) didn't come out, he wouldn't leave England at that stage, later in his life he would go to Spain!

Now my Gran was an amazing woman, full of love and compassion. She was also the most amazing seamstress, she made everything from top-coats to knickers. Every time I make something I feel like I'm paying homage to her in a small way. She made her tweed suit featured in this photo as well as our clothes, don't know who made my Mum's dress, but she would have taken it up 2 inches herself. When we went back to live in England, I was 9 and I was obsessed with wearing waistcoats and fat ties, a little masculine I know, but rather than discourage this, she made me a red velvet waist coast, with a matching skirt - oh the joy!!

No comments: