Friday, November 16, 2007

An Instrument of Torture...

...in the shape of an overlocker has come into my life, thanks to Big D's Nan, it's old, but it works (thanks to Big D) just not sure how I feel about it. It's quick, and seams look 'finished' but then again are we just used to seeing our seams overlocked? The fact that it comes with tweezers for threading doesn't fill me with joy!!

Finally made something that is leaving the house! This is a halter dress for my Niece who is turning 5 on Sunday, not a lot of 'hanger appeal' the old halter dress, but rather stunning on. I had 2 days break and feel like my mojo might be rising - will see what happens over the weekend. Thanks to all of you for advice and tips on mojo's lost and found - an interesting concept for a book I think - I'd buy it!!

On another note, I took Little P to an open day at her pre-school on Thursday, it was fraught! She was tired, it was hot, and when it came time to leave, she lost it, running and yelling 'nooooooooo I don't want to go, I want to stay and do pasting' - she was doing that yell and run thing so her words were all bouncy, and her nose was all snotty - and I was trying my best to stay calm, she was so loud though that I couldn't really 'use my words'!! The only words I really wanted to use were "fucking hell, why today?" Any way we made it out of the front gates, and home in one piece, and we did look lovely if that counts for anything?!!

6 comments:

Jade said...

Oh, poor dear, sounds like tired and cranky to me. Bet you're liking the new toy. I find my overlocker indispensable now, even though I used to get by without it.

Anonymous said...

hey that reminds me of my sons first day at kinder when his teacher asked him what he had for breakfast and he announced "lollies", and no matter what i said i looked like I was trying to cover up - little shit!!They always do it when you REALLY want to impress hey?? So embarrassing....

Sherrin said...

lol my OL needs tweezers for threading. You get used to them. I actually love my tweezers- they are useful for so many things, just you wait! I even use them to tie knots in thread where the bits of cotton are too short. Or to drive through fabric to put in snaps.

Won't comment on your morning beyond 'I hear ya, sister.'

And the dress. Do you think it would fit me?! *smiles sweetly*

Donna said...

You're a scream Claire. I too have a newly arrived OL and I havent even taken it out of the box. Got the quick 1/2 lesson from Janome last week and I've forgotten it all and now it scares me every time I walk past it in my sewing room. HEEELLPPP!!!!

LBA said...

That dress looks lovely, I can imagine it on !

As for tiredness & hot days - we don't normally melt down, but yesterday, up the shops, with the restrained child kicking my husband in the goolies all the way, was one of those 'fuckenhell' moments too ...

He came home and had a nap like never before - it was like having a newborn again, sleeping well until darkness, up for dinner, and down again with nightowl mum at midnight ( when it was cooler :)

P.S. - wanted to answer you on a comment on my blog, but can't find an email for you !

Morag said...

Torture indeed! I have a science degree and I'm not sure I would be savvy enough to operate one of those! Which is why I procrastinate about buying one. I so pleased to hear your mojo has returned. Maybe your mojo and mine headed off somewhere tropical for a break? Mine seems to be back now too...